Long skirt love



One of the afflictions of my non-dancer body are the short stocky legs that I get from my dad's side of the family (thanks, dad...). So it took me a full year before I embraced even wearing a short ballet skirt. But then, one of the costumes for the show that I did this year had us in longer, calf-length skirts, and there's something just amazingly transformative in movement quality to be in a flowy skirt that floats up when you spin. I struggle with being too strong and overpowering of a dancer--not lanky or expressive or light or soft enough--but the skirt in the performance worked this magic on my quality of movement, and really helped with the expressiveness.


Ever since then, I've had this intense hankering to get a long rehearsal skirt for classes, but these are actually surprisingly difficult to find! It seems like the popular, en vogue option in the US these days is still the super short skirt (see: this short black number that I have from Jule Dancewear). I mean, yes, it's easier for the teacher to see your movements, so I get it. But still.

Then, when I got to the U.K., I suddenly saw longer length skirts everywhere! And then one day, a pro who was in Scotland for holiday came to class with this long, mid-calf length skirt, and I was totally determined to have one after that. Luckily, they're much more easily available here, and I was so thrilled, I may have gotten more than one. *innocent face* They're soooo much fun to wear in class.



Comments